5Rights Foundation exists to build the digital world that young people deserve.
Our small team works for real-world impact on behalf of and with young people, pioneering change around the globe.
We develop new policy, create innovative frameworks, develop technical standards, publish research, challenge received narratives and ensure that children's rights and needs are recognised and prioritised in the digital world.
Our focus is on implementable change and our work is cited and used widely around the world. We work with governments, inter-governmental institutions, professional associations, academics, businesses, and children, so that digital products and services can impact positively on the lived experiences of young people.
Director of Operations
5Rights Foundation is looking for a new Operations Officer to support the smooth running of the organisation. The successful candidate will become a key figure in managing and improving systems, process and procedures that support the organisation to deliver its goals. They will be responsible for coordinating day-to-day operations, optimising systems/tools and liaising with contractors, as well as work closely with the Director of Operations on strengthening a dynamic, supportive, inclusive, and impact-driven organisational culture.
If you are an experienced operations professional and you are excited at the prospect of making operations serve the mission of creating a digital world that children deserve, we encourage you to apply.
This is a 40hr/week position - fully remote or hybrid with regular working days at the 5Rights Foundation’s office.
Work equipment, including a laptop, will be provided.
Interviews will be held over Zoom or in person, as per the candidates’ preferences.
You will work collaboratively with the Director of Operations in ensuring the organisation has in place – and makes full use of - the right support, processes, and culture needed to achieve our ambitious goals. To do this, you will have responsibility for the following:
Hiring, developing, and inspiring brilliant people 40%
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Operations to ensure the smooth operation of a distributed team, including colleagues and contractors in Belgium and the US.
- Manage inclusive and equitable hiring practices and processes.
- Helping staff perform at their best by ensuring we have, use, and regularly review practices that support the organisation’s mission and culture.
- Supporting colleagues in the development and implementation of feedback and Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning processes, to ensure we are all learning, developing, and becoming better at making a difference for the children that we are here to serve.
Optimising and coordinating 5Rights operations 40%
- Managing a move to a co-working space
- Ensure our systems and processes operate effectively and support efficient resource and capacity management across workstreams - supporting the team to implement and embed new systems and processes.
- Systems and accounts management: getting the best out of our IT systems and suppliers and, where necessary, change them - including our websites, hardware, and software packages such as Salesforce and Microsoft Office.
- Manage relationships with suppliers and contractors to ensure smooth running of office, management of supplies and provision of services.
- Identify opportunities for systems and process improvements and being pro-active at re-designing these in collaboration with the team.
- Manage operational processes including invoicing, enquiries, purchasing processes.
- Support timely and high-quality reporting and updates on the organisation’s work with funders.
- Provide operational support for the delivery of some organisational projects, including publications and events.
Supporting the 5Rights communications and Director of Operations 20%
- Provide support for 5Rights communications, preparing materials and content (e.g. posters, brochures, web pages, and social media campaigns) and any administrative support for the maintenance of the website.
- Provide administrative support for events and project activities to ensure a smooth collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Support the Director of Operations, including some diary management, expenses, and travel
- Support the Director of Operations in ensuring good governance.
And any other, reasonable duties assigned.
Even if you don’t fulfil all the requirements below, if you see yourself in some of the points, we encourage you to apply.
- You are excited about contributing to making a digital world that young people deserve. You have shown yourself to be proactive in identifying potential opportunities and challenges and enjoy finding ways to make things operate better for everyone.
- You are people-centred and make everyone feel comfortable. You invest in building good relationships with people internally and externally, no matter what level they work at. Your leadership style is supportive, equitable and respectful and you demonstrate a collaborative approach.
- You are proactive and enjoy ensuring smooth and effective running of operations: You have experience coordinating operational and people responsibilities in a fast-paced, mission-driven setting. You are equally at home providing administrative support as you are in responding with agility to operational needs that arise, as well as in identifying how we can improve operational processes.
- You enjoy learning new skills and exploring new ways-of-working: 5Rights is a growing international team and our systems, processes and way-of-working that have served us well until now are in urgent need to be reviewed and updated. You are motivated to identify and implement operational efficiencies whilst supporting the team through change.
- You are extremely trustworthy and exercise good judgement: You have experience dealing with sensitive and confidential information and always maintain the confidence of those around you. At the same time, you know when to pull others in for support and who those individuals should be.
- Your drive is matched by your exceptional organisational skills and keen eye for detail: You have held responsibility for complex projects, demonstrating sound judgement in prioritisation and ensuring staff and contractors complete their roles to a high standard.
- You are committed to equity, diversity and inclusion. You believe and act in a way that celebrates and encourages a range of experiences, views and values.
Renumeration and Details
Salary range and benefits: Circa £28,000 with statutory pension contribution and 25 days annual leave
Location: remote or hybrid with regular working days at the 5Rights Foundation office.
How to Apply
Please send your CV and cover letter https://5rightsfoundation.peoplehr.net/Pages/JobBoard/Opening.aspx?v=3b36b8c0-b30c-4f7f-9b93-f418b0fed9b1 by 29th January 2022.